Have you ever been blindfolded? Maybe you were blindfolded while playing a game at youth group, or a friend’s birthday party as a kid. Being blindfolded is hard because you can hear everyone, but you can’t see what’s going on. This can lead you to trip over a chair or run into a friend simply because you can’t see where you’re going.
Have you ever thought about the fact that many people approach dating blindfolded? Many people are into dating just for the fun. They might take the time to get to know the person they’re dating. They just assume since the person they’re dating is good looking and gives them goosebumps, the relationship is meant to be. Before they know it, they’ve jumped wholeheartedly into a relationship with someone they hardly know. Dating blindfolded like this can bring disastrous results.
Here’s a few things you should find out before jumping into a relationship with someone.
- Do they love God? This should be a deal-breaker for you. If the person you’re dating doesn’t love God and challenge you to get closer to God, run away. You are heading towards relationship disaster.
- Do they value what you do? Find out if your values are compatible. If you like spending time with family, and your date doesn’t, you’re heading towards relationship disaster.
- What’s their drama level? Are they in crisis mode in their life? And you like things more low key? Then be warned, you’re heading towards relationship disaster.
- What do others think? Do your parents like this person? Your best friends? The people that know you the best can often warn you about relationship blind spots. Don’t forget to pay attention to those who know you best.
- Have you given the relationship to God? Have you asked God if this is the right relationship for you? If you don’t get God involved in your relationships, you are certainly headed towards relationship disaster.
Its easy to get wrapped up with all the emotions and excitement that come with a relationship. Many times all these emotions can lead you to forget about God. However, a relationship should reflect your walk with Jesus.
A relationship should not pull you away from Jesus. If you start dating someone and realize that you’re coming to church less and less, you need to realize that you’re dating blindfolded. Your relationship has become all about you and God has taken a back seat in your life. Your relationships should be pushing you towards God, not away from him. If the relationship you’re in is pulling you away from God, its time to seriously re-evaluate the relationship for any areas where you might be dating blindfolded.
Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. – Matthew 6:33 (NLT)
Check out Sex Has a Price Tag: Discussions About Sexuality, Spirituality and Self Respect This is an engaging read with lots of real life examples and fun stats!
Similar Youth Devotions
- How To Get Your Heart Sucker Punched
- Your Dating Checklist
- Why Dating Is A Lot Like Ordering From The Starbucks Menu
- What True Love Is